Near Death Experience
I had quite a scare this week. I was out of the daycare and got a call that the tank was extra green, that the Long-fin Ancistrus was dead and that the shark had eaten half of it and now guarding the carcass. Oh my goodness!
In coming to check out the tank to see what had happened, it turned out to be a false alarm.
Thankfully, the Ancistrus is just a funny looking fish that seems to like the same area as the Albino Rainbow Shark. No problem with that, this type of Catfish is bony and not temping for the shark. But, I have been noticing that over the past week, there has been a considerable amount of algae being produced throughout. The planter tray on the top of the system seems to be growing it, then, as I add the water, approximately once/week, some of the algae flows into the tank. I have been told that the light cycle that I have, 12 hours on/off will continue to do this. Late in the week, as I added the water and saw the flow of algae stream into the tank I had to consider the situation and what I could do to combat this issue. Do I change the light cycle, or get fish who enjoy the algae? With the plants seemingly loving the light I’m electing to fight the algae. I’ve now added a screen, that partly slows the water flow so I will only place the screen for the times that I add water and create overflow. I then needed to get some efficient algae eaters for inside the tank. With this, wanting to add a bit more colour, and more potential for live births in the tank I picked up:
3 Amano Shrimp – the new algae eaters, plus live births, 3 Mickey Mouse Platys – live births, kids will recognize the “mickey” image on the fish, and 3 Bluetail Tuxedo Platys – live births, adds some colour to the tank
Now, with a total of 23 fish, there should be enough “waste” produced to start making some changes to the water quality and we can start focusing on growing/ experimenting with the plants.
So far, the cauliflower is growing like a weed! I will have to start preparing for a transplant soon. The romano beans have mostly died. There is only 1 bean growing but it is growing as if it were a magic stalk! All of a sudden there is a 2.5″ stalk exploding out of the rockwool. As I have been watching the bean seeds, I have been noticing that I don’t think it was the depth of the seed in the water, that it was the depth into the rockwool. I had not taken into consideration how the bean sprouts in the seeding process. The hole that the bean was planted in was a very small hole, not allowing the bean to split and grow, causing them to drown and/or mold. Watching how fast the plants are growing, and some discussion on what we would like to produce, we have decided on what to try next and so I will get more rockwool and some seeds for next week.